Sunday, April 11, 2010

1/2 Marathon

This past Saturday I had 13 miles I had to do. I started running the north trail at Antrim. I haven't been on this trail for a while. In fact since the last time I had run this part they added more trail to it. It was so beautiful and very scenic. It was the bottom part that I was looking onto at Highbanks park which meandered with the river. With all the trees starting to bloom and the flowering trees already in bloom it was very picturesque.

I thought the north trail would have mile markers on it. Which it did not so I ran 30 min and then turned around and headed back to the start. Then I did 3 miles on the south route. In between the two north and south is about a mile. By the time I ended my run I know I ran more than 13 miles. In fact I'm pretty sure I ran closer to 14 miles rather than 13.

I have signed up for the Capital City Half Marathon which is May first. So I have officially ran the mileage for that race, now to keep building for Lake placid. I finished the mileage and thought to myself "Yeah I did 1/2 of my race, then I thought I have only done half of my race and I would have to do another one of those. Uggh"

A daunting thought, but I do feel more prepared than the last couple of training runs. I need to come to the conclusion that the marathon will be overwhelming and I'm sure I will think that I can't keep going but I just have to put one foot in front of the other. Before the run was over I ran out of songs on my Ipod. I am going to need some more songs to run to seeing how I only did half of my race.

What are your favorite songs to work out to or run to? Anyone have some good songs I can use?

2 comments:

  1. Paula, I have really enjoyed reading your blog postings. I also struggle with finding new up beat songs to upload on my ipod. Sometimes I will upload some of J.O.'s playlists hoping for a change in beat, but often times I'm disappointed by his picks. USA Today says the top 5 downloads last week were "Hey, Soul Sister," "Rude Boy," "Nothin' on you," "Break your Heart," and "Baby." I know some people enjoy listening to audiobooks while running, but there's something about striding out to a beat. Also, running allows your mind to wander and think about things, but I think audiobooks interfere with this. Still, J.O. swears by them. So I guess I have learned just to search itunes store every time I get bored with my playlists and pick out songs that work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny you mentioned the book on tape. I was thinking that I could kill 2 birds with one stone but I have ADD on my runs. I can barely keep my mind on the songs sometimes. So figuring out what is going on with the book would be tricky I think. I keep looking on Itunes but I don't want to waste the money if running to it isn't worth it. I love "lose yourself" by Eminem because it reminds me of OSU football, and I tried Wisconsin's jump around those two have been good but I just need some new songs.

    ReplyDelete