Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Trey Lives STRONG


So today I have some mixed emotions. It is the one year anniversary since my cousin pictured left died of cancer. I can remember that week so vividly because it was right around the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and my roommates and I were set to leave for Vegas. It was going to be a great trip with front row seats to LOVE and staying in an awesome hotel. Plus a get away from the cold. Then I got the call that he had passed. His funeral was filled with tears and many questions of "why?" I can remember the sun flowers that were there (his favorite flower), his aunt's eulogies and how many people came out to honor his life. He will forever be missed.

I can't believe that it has been a year already. His death really made me want to be an activist in stopping cancer. This past year I did relay for life and it was such a great event. The school that I worked at did it as a staff. The kids helped to raise money and came to the event. I posed the question to my class last year "how many of you either have a family member or a close friend that has or had cancer?"
I only got one student who didn't raise their hand. That is insane. We have to place a higher emphasis on curing this deadly disease. When the event read all the names that someone had made a donation in honor of was astounding. There were too many people on that list. So in Honor of Trey I am wearing LiveSTRONG tomorrow.

I'm listing a poem that gave me comfort at this time last year. I will forever remember Trey as a card playing, smiling boy who loved to be in the water.

I can shed tears that you are gone, or I can smile because you have lived.
I can close my eyes and pray that you will come back, or I an open my eyes and see all you left.
My heart can be empty because I can't see you, or I can be full of love that you shared with me.
I can remember you only that you are gone, or I can cherish your memory and let it live one.
I can cry and close my eyes, be empty and turn my back...
or I can do what you would want and smile, open my eyes, love and go on.


No comments:

Post a Comment