Monday, May 3, 2010

Cap City 1/2 Marathon

Saturday I ran in the Columbus' version of a spring 1/2 marathon. (I wish they would do a full along with it, but our weather is so unpredictable that it would be difficult.) The forecast called for rain and thunderstorms. There was a chance of it missing us and the weather man even said the night before that it might be alright that we could miss the rain. Boy they were wrong. The race started off and it wasn't raining. About mile 5/6 it started to drizzle and it didn't stop. It started off with me just getting a little wet, then I started to feel my socks become wet, finally by the end I was dripping wet.

Did I mention I hate rain? I also managed to finish 2:01.01. Which I blame on my watch because I hadn't figured out how to get my splits with my overall time on the same screen. The clock that is considered the race clock was off (because I started so far back from the front of the pack) and I wasn't sure by how much I was off from this clock, so I had know idea where I actually was in the overall time. I didn't realize how close to breaking 2 hours I was or I would have pushed it a lot more. So needless to say I have a goal for my next half (one that I train just for the half and not the full marathon!). So here are my split times:

18:24 (I couldn't get my first mile because the 5k and the 1/2 run the first mile at the same time so I missed the mile 1 marker)
9:08 - mile 3
9:13 - mile 4
9:23 - mile 5 (I was having a hard time dodging the people on this mile)
9:18 - mile 6
9:21 - mile 7
9:29 - mile 8 (stopped for water at a station instead of finishing off my hydration belt)
9:19 - mile 9
9:18 - mile 10
9:24 - mile 11 (not sure what happened here. I blame it on the rain!)
9:05 - mile 12
9:37 - mile 13

I finished off with a little hill work which is great training for the full considering there is a huge hill at the end. Over all this was somewhat of my worse case scenario race and I survived so I feel like I can take on anything. I learned a lot from this race. I know that I am going to take my hydration belt for the marathon, I need more songs for my ipod, I hope there isn't rain, and that I can do it.

A huge shout out goes to my wonderful boyfriend for dropping me off early in the morning and then going to find parking (also for getting my glasses which I forgot to take off in the car before hopping out. He helped with a last minute freak out in the car of whether I should take my hydration belt or leave it... take my rain jacket with long sleeves or leave it). Thanks for putting up with my craziness.
Also another shout out goes to my mom for coming up early in the morning and cheering me on. They may not know it but it helped having a familiar face in the crowd. Mom also got some great pictures which I am going to include below. So... Thanks :)
Add Image











Here is where I pass my glasses off to Jason for safe keeping


















Nice running Photo Mom!
















Can you see the shine on my arms....that is the rain :(

1 comment:

  1. Paula, what a supportive boyfriend you have! Jobs like holding of the glasses and craziness-putting-up-with are very impressive. I also like how in that last picture he is expertly holding the umbrella almost over all of you so only your arm gets wet…well done sir. The 2:01:01 isn’t bad either, keep up the good work. These posts are anonymous right?

    ReplyDelete